今天给大家介绍几个在日常生活中经常用到的英语口语:

1 As dead as a doornail

完全死了,doornail指门上使用的大头钉,这种说法可谓历史悠久,在十六世纪被莎翁使用过,一八四三年也在查尔斯·狄更斯的小说《圣诞颂歌》中出现过。在木匠的行话中有dead-nailing这个词,表示动作用deaden the nail,意思是把钉子打进去一半,然后把露在外面的那一部分打弯,这样使钉子牢固不松动。这个短语也可以表示希望完全破灭或计划完全告吹。

The man is as dead as a doornail.

这个男人彻底断气了。

Be careful with that bottle. It’s cyanide. One swallow of that and you’d be dead as a doornail.

小心那个瓶子。是氰化物。一口吞下,您就完了。

After my long illness, any hopes I might have had of going to college next year were as dead as a doornail.

在我长病之后,明年我上大学的任何希望都彻底破灭了。

When Greyson entered the barn, he saw his horse lying as dead as a doornail.

当格雷森进入谷仓时,他看到他的马彻底死了。

You have to get a piece of new furniture — the one you have looked as dead as a doornail.

您必须购买一件新家具-您现在的家具看来已经不行了。

At first, the king thought the lion would pounce any minute, but the soldier confirmed it was as dead as a doornail.

起初,国王认为狮子会在任何一刻扑来,但士兵证实它已经彻底死了。

Why would you leave this fish in the tank? It’s as dead as a doornail.

你为什么要把这条鱼留在鱼缸里?它已经完全死了。

Tina was very much alive, but as soon as she heard the news of storm, she panicked and appeared as dead as a doornail.

蒂娜还活着,但是当她听到暴风雨的消息时,她惊慌失措,看上去像完全死了的样子。

I poked that squirrel with a stick and, yeah, it's as dead as a doornail.

我用棍子戳那只松鼠,是的,它已经彻底死了。

That idea from last week's meeting is dead as a doornail now that the CEO has vetoed it.

既然首席执行官已否决了上周会议的想法,那它就已经彻底没戏了。

From the start of the movie it is clear that she will be as dead as a doornail by the time the credits roll.

从电影开始,很明显,到片尾时她将彻底死掉。

My $2,500 computer was dead as a doornail.

我那价值2500美元的计算机彻底完了。

The old captain was dead as a doornail.

那位老队长完全死了。

The negotiations are as dead as a doornail.

谈判彻底失败了。

The deal is dead as a doornail.

这笔交易彻底黄了。

2 Pass muster

及格,pass通过检查,muster召集士兵,在部队,每次集合以后,军官将会检查士兵的衣服及鞋帽等,pass muster本来的意思就是集合时检查合格。由于部队平时的检查并不太严格,因此这个短语也有凑合、还过得去的意思。

The soldier didn’t pass muster because his shoes were not shined.

那个士兵没有通过检查,因为他的鞋子没擦亮。

Though a rather dull student in college, he was able to pass muster as a scholar in the country village.

尽管他在大学里是一个相当呆板的学生,但他还是能够通过乡村的学者资格考试。

I don’t have the money to buy any new clothes for my job interview. Do you think this old, frayed suit will pass muster?

我没有钱去买新衣服去面试。您认为这套破旧的西服会通过吗?

I bought a new dress and had my hair done for our date tonight. Do I pass muster?

为了今晚的约会,我买了一件新衣服并整理了头发。你看我够漂亮吗?

I gave the interview my best, but I guess I didn't pass muster.

我尽最大努力去面试了,但我想我没有通过要求。

There are so many typos and structural problems—there's no way this report will pass muster with the boss.

错别字和结构性问题太多了,这份报告绝不可能通过老板。

I tried, but my efforts didn't pass muster.

我尝试了,但是我的努力白费了。

If you don't wear a jacket and tie, you won't pass muster at that fancy restaurant. They won't let you in.

如果您不穿外套,打领带,那您在那家高档餐厅里就不会通过。他们不会让你进来的。

He spoke French and Spanish and could just about pass muster in Italian.

他会讲法语和西班牙语,并且几乎可以说意大利语。

It is the only country that has yet to fulfill all the membership requirements, but it is expected to pass muster soon.

它是唯一尚未满足所有成员资格要求的国家,但有望很快通过。

I didn’t think Charlie’s parents would like me, but evidently, I pass muster.

我不认为查理的父母会喜欢我,但显然我通过了他们这一关。

3 Take kindly to something (someone)

乐意接受,kind最初的意思是天然的(natural),经过漫长的演变,才具有现在的词义亲爱的,原来的意义基本废弃不用了,只存在于这个词组中了,所以在这个短语中kindly不是亲切地,而是天然地(naturally)。

Roses are kindly to this type of soil.

玫瑰天然地适应这种土壤。

Mr. Hobbs didn’t take kindly to my suggestion that he should think about retiring.

霍布斯先生对我的建议不以为然,他应该考虑退休。

Do you really think the boss will take kindly to your quitting your job?

您是否真的认为老板会乐于让你辞职?

If anything would make Japan take kindly to Russia’s overtures, it would be the return of the northern islands.

如果有什么能让日本友善地接受俄罗斯的提议,那将是北方四岛的回归。

For some reason, the Indians never took too kindly to the white man’s efforts to civilize them by killing them off and stealing their land.

由于某种原因,印第安人从来没有对白人通过杀害他们并偷走他们的土地来文明化他们的努力表示乐于接受。

It would be healthier for you to leave town in a hurry, mister. People around here don’t take kindly to nosy strangers.

赶紧离开这个城镇对您来说会更健康。这周围的人对爱管闲事的陌生人并不友善。

I don’t know why, but apparently Bob’s never taken kindly to me.

我不知道为什么,但是显然鲍勃从来没有对我有好感。

John just doesn't take kindly to criticism, which is why no one tells him what they really think.

约翰只是不善待批评,这就是为什么没人告诉他他们真正的想法的原因。

I'd take more kindly to your request if you didn't have such a nasty tone when you said it.

如果您说的话没有那么讨厌的语气,我会更乐于接受你的请求。

My father doesn't take kindly to anyone using his tools.

我父亲不乐于接受任何使用他的工具的人。

She did not take kindly to being offered advice on her social life.

她不乐意接受别人向她提供有关其社交生活的建议。

Henry won't take kindly to your stepping on his newly planted grass.

亨利不会接受你踩着他刚种下的草。

4 Sit tight

耐心等待,原意为好好地坐下,要根据上下文来判断sit是坐着,还是安安静静,一动不动,但一般来说,这个短语总是表示为了弄清楚事情的原委而耐心地观望。这个短语还有不改变主意的意思。

Let’s just sit tight and see what our opponents will do next.

让我们按兵不动,看看对手接下来会做什么。

I’m sure they saw our signal. All we have to do is sitting tight and wait for help to arrive.

我确定他们看到了我们的信号。我们所要做的就是不要动,等待援兵的到来。

It would be a mistake to show your hand too soon. Just sit tight. They’ll come back sooner or later with a better offer, I’m sure.

过早地亮出底牌是错误的。耐心等待,我敢肯定他们迟早会回来提供更好的报价。

Sit tight, I’ll be right back.

别动,我马上回来。

Maybe he’s waiting for us on the other side of the station. You sit tight. I’ll go and see if I can find him.

也许他在车站的另一侧等我们。你在这里等着,我去看看能否找到他。

You'd better sit tight and I'll call the doctor.

你最好等着,我去叫医生。

My parents tried to persuade me not to go alone, but I sat tight.

我的父母试图说服我不要一个人去,但我不听。

We’ve decided to sit tight and not sell the house yet.

我们决定等待,先不卖房子。

I know you're anxious to hear how you did, but just sit tight—they'll let you know the results when they're ready.

我知道您很想知道您的最终成绩,但不要着急,等他们准备好后,他们会告诉您结果。

The CEO is urging investors to sit tight until the new product has had a chance to generate some sales.

首席执行官敦促投资者耐心等待,直到新产品有机会产生一定的销售额。

We were waiting in line for the gates to open when someone came out and told us to sit tight because it wouldn't be much longer before we could go in.

当有人出来告诉我们要耐心等待,进去不需要很长时间时,我们正排队等待大门打开。

The message is, those who want to sell their houses should sit tight for a couple of years if they can.

信息是,那些想出售房屋的人应该尽可能等待几年。

Our colonel told everyone to sit tight, don't leave the camp.

我们的上校告诉大家呆在那里,不要离开营地。

In a period of recession businessmen have to sit tight and hope for better times in the future.

在经济衰退时期,商人必须耐心等待并祈祷未来会更好。

5 Leave no stone unturned

为寻求某种东西而穷极一切手段。这个说法来自于古希腊,公元前四七七年,希腊将军波利克拉特斯战胜了波斯的将军,但是他没找到那些金银财宝藏在何地,因此他就前往特尔斐的阿波罗神庙去咨询,这个神庙以能够解答难题而著称。神庙就让他”Leave no stone unturned”(翻过来每一块石头),将军照做而且找到了那些宝贝。从那时起,人们就用这个短语表示尽最大努力寻找东西,而且是不择手段。

The president left no stone unturned in trying to accomplish peace in the Middle East.

总统为实现中东和平采取了各种手段。

The police left no stone unturned in their search for the missing child.

警方穷极一切手段去寻找失踪儿童。

Ralph is an aggressive salesman. When looking for new customers, he leaves no stone unturned.

拉尔夫是一位积极进取的推销员。在寻找新客户时,他用尽所有的手段。

Medical researchers are leaving no stone unturned in their efforts to discover a cure for cancer.

医学研究人员为找到治疗癌症的方法不遗余力。

I’ve got to save the company. There isn’t a stone I’ll leave unturned.

我得救公司。我不会放弃任何手段。

He left no stone unturned in his search for his natural mother.

他用尽一切办法寻找亲生母亲。

The researchers left no stone unturned in their search for the original documents.

研究人员用尽一切手段寻找原始文件。

We left no stone unturned looking for that earring, but we still couldn't find it. I'm thinking it got thrown out.

我们不遗余力地寻找那只耳环,但我们仍然找不到。我在想它已被扔掉了。

Police vowed to leave no stone unturned trying to track down the fugitive.

警方发誓要不遗余力地追查逃犯。

I left no stone unturned when I was researching my thesis topic. I think I checked out every book on it that the library had!

在研究论文主题时,我用尽一切办法。我想我参考了图书馆所藏的每一本书!

Don't worry. We'll find your stolen car. We'll leave no stone unturned.

不用担心我们会找到您的失窃车辆。我们将不遗余力。

In searching for a nice place to live, we left no stone unturned.

在寻找一个宜居的地方时,我们将不遗余力。

In the difficult weeks ahead, we'll leave no stone unturned in our search for a peaceful solution to the crisis.

在未来艰难的几周中,我们将不遗余力地寻求和平解决危机的办法。

The New Zealand police minister promised that no stone would be left unturned in the hunt for the killer.

新西兰警察部长承诺,在追捕凶手时将不遗余力。

6 Lay an egg

彻底失败,源自于十九世纪中叶英国的板球用语achieve a duck’s egg(一分未得),传入美国以后,achieve变成了lay, a duck’s egg变成了a goose egg. 目前在体育运动中,goose egg仍然代表零分。

The new million-dollar Broadway musical laid no egg.

这部新的投资百万美元的百老汇音乐剧没有市场。

As a movie director he is generally very successful, but he sure laid an egg this time.

作为电影导演,他通常非常成功,但是这次他肯定搞砸了。

Jenny is a very good singer, but every time she tries to be funny she lays an egg.

珍妮是一位非常出色的歌手,但每次尝试变得有趣时,她都会彻底失败。

That author must be losing his touch. He’s laid several eggs since his last best seller.

那位作者一定是江郎才尽了。自上次畅销书以来,他的作品就不行了。

That guy’s jokes are terrible. He laid eggs all over the stage last night.

那家伙的笑话太可怕了。昨晚他在整个舞台上的笑话都不受欢迎。

I’m gonna lay an egg during our mile run today.

今天要跑一英里,我要不及格。

Our first two sketches got big laughs, but the next two laid an egg.

我们的前两个小品引人大笑,但后两个完全失败了。

We really laid an egg last night and lost the game 7-0.

我们昨晚比赛以7-0输掉了。

The cast laid an egg in both performances.

演员在两场演出中都失败了。

Independent studies showed the ad laid an egg.

独立研究显示,这个广告毫无用处。

Long before they had finished making it, Stamp knew that the movie would lay an egg.

早在他们拍完这部电影之前,斯塔姆就知道这部电影会完全失败。

He laid an egg with these proposals with the very people he wanted most to convince.

他对那些他最想说服的人提出了这些建议,但他完全失败了。

50个英语课堂常用语(英语习惯用语学习系列之七)(1)

50个英语课堂常用语(英语习惯用语学习系列之七)(2)

50个英语课堂常用语(英语习惯用语学习系列之七)(3)

,