1 read someone like a book” = understand someone very well

" read someone like a book " =非常了解某人

“My teacher can read students like a book. He knows which students study, and which students don’t.“

“我的老师能像读一本书一样了解学生。 他知道哪些学生学习,哪些学生不学习。 ”

My mom always knows when I'm lying. She can read me like a book.

我妈总是知道我在撒谎。 她对我了如指掌。

You won't be a very successful thief with that nervous demeanor—the cops will read you like a book.

你那种紧张的举止不会成为一个成功的小偷——警察会把你看得一清二楚的。

I can read you like a book, and I can tell that something's wrong, so please tell me what it is.

我对你了如指掌,我知道有什么不对劲,所以请告诉我是怎么回事。

2“go by the book” = follow rules exactly

go by the book =严格遵守规则

“If you always go by the book in your work, your company will trust you more.

“如果你在工作中总是循规蹈矩,你的公司会更加信任你。 ”

My boss insists on doing everything by the book.

我的老板坚持一切照章办事。

If you're looking for someone to approve an exception, don't go to Ted—he does everything by the book.

如果你想找人批准例外,别去找泰德-他做事都是照章办事的。

3“no spring chicken” = no longer young

“no spring chicken”=不再年轻

“I don’t think he’ll be able to hike to the summit because he’s no spring chicken.“

这句话的意思是:“我认为他不能徒步到达顶峰了,因为他已经不是小孩子了。 ”

He won't like the description but in the youth-obsessed world of sprinting he's no spring chicken.

他不会喜欢这样的描述,但在痴迷于年轻人的短跑世界里,他已经不是年轻人了。

He was always a wild and crazy guy when he was younger, but now he’s no spring chicken.

他年轻的时候一直是个疯狂的家伙,但现在他已不再年轻了。

4“play it safe” = be careful and not take chances

" play it safe " =小心,不要冒险

“My knee still hurts, so I’m going to play it safe and not go jogging today.“

这个人说:“我的膝盖还在疼,所以今天我还是不去跑步为保险起见。 ”

To play safe, I'd allow an extra ten minutes, just in case.

为了保险起见,我会多给你十分钟,以防万一。

I think I'll play it safe and take the earlier train.

我想稳妥起见,乘早一班火车。

idioms in english(英语习语Idioms系列1-4)(1)

,