英语学习每日只有5句话(每日英语-51)(1)

My first job

我的第一份工作

My first “real” job was during my last year of high school.

我的第一份“真正的”工作是在高中的最后一年。

I had taken classes in various business subjects.

我上过各种商业科目的课。

In that last year of high school, we could do a “co-op”.

在高中的最后一年,我们可以做一个“合作社”。

That meant we could work part of the time instead of going to school.

这意味着我们可以部分时间工作而不是上学。

It would count as a credit towards our diploma.

这将算作我们毕业证书的学分。

The place I got a job was at a men’s tailor shop.

我找到工作的地方是在一家男式裁缝店。

The owners were a very nice older German couple.

主人是一对很好的德国老夫妇。

They had two other men working for them, too.

他们还有另外两个人为他们工作。

One of the men had had brain surgery for cancer.

其中一名男子因癌症接受了脑部手术。

He had a big, long scar all around the top of his head.

他头顶上有一道长长的大伤疤。

He told me all about it.

他把这一切都告诉了我。

He was always happy and full of fun.

他总是很快乐,充满乐趣。

I thought he was very brave!

我认为他很勇敢!

The tailor shop made suits to order.

裁缝店定做西装。

One of the salesmen would measure the man, and the customer would choose a fabric and style he (or his wife!) liked.

其中一个推销员会给这个男人量尺寸,顾客会为他(或他的妻子)选择她喜欢的布料和款式。

The people in the back of the shop would then cut and sew the suit.

然后,商店后面的人会裁剪和缝制西装。

The suits cost a lot of money.

西装会花费很多钱。

There were also suits already made that the customer could buy instead if they wished.

还有一些已经制作好的西装,如果客户愿意,可以购买。

They could also rent suits or tuxedos for weddings or parties.

他们还可以为婚礼或派对租用西装或燕尾服。

I worked at a little desk.

我在一张小桌子上工作。

I answered the phone, wrote letters, filed papers and did some bookkeeping.

我接电话,写信,归档文件,做一些簿记。

It was about a mile walk from my school to work.

从我的学校到上班的地方大约一英里。

I passed many clothing shops.

我路过许多服装店。

That wasn’t good because I spent a lot of the money that I earned in those shops!

这不好,因为我花了很多我在那个商店挣的钱!

I worked at the tailor shop for almost a year.

我在裁缝店工作了将近一年。

It was a good experience and helped me get my next job with the United States Navy.

这是一次很好的经历,帮助我在美国海军处找到了下一份工作。

That was fun, too!

那也很有趣!

,