每日英语第十一期(每日英语-21)(1)

The peach orchard

桃园

When I was very young, I lived near a peach orchard.

当我很小的时候,我住在桃园附近。

Now, there is a park where the orchard used to be.

现在曾经的果园变成了一个公园。

I always remember the peach orchard because my grandmother and I used to go there and pick peaches.

我一直记得桃园,因为我和奶奶过去常去那里摘桃子。

The owner of the orchard would let all the neighbors pick peaches.

果园的主人会让所有邻居摘桃子。

It’s not the fact that I used to get many ripe, tasty peaches that I remember; it’s the time that I used to spend with my grandmother that I remember.

我记得的不是我曾经得到过很多成熟美味的桃子;而是我过去和祖母一起度过的时光。

My grandmother was very old, but she was very healthy.

我奶奶很老了,但是她很健康。

She used to walk a lot.

她过去经常走路。

I think that is what kept her fit.

我想这就是她保持健康的原因。

She had a lot of energy so she liked to go to a lot of places.

她精力充沛,所以她喜欢去很多地方。

She would get a fruit basket, and then she would ask me if I wanted to go to the orchard.

她会拿着一个果篮,然后她会问我是否想去果园。

I always said yes because I enjoyed walking through the orchard on a sunny day.

我总是说是的,因为我喜欢在晴天穿过果园。

We never climbed up on a ladder to reach the peaches;

我们从未爬上梯子去摘桃子;

we just reached for the low hanging fruit.

我们摘低垂的水果。

My grandmother and I used to talk all the time that we were out there.

我和奶奶在外面的时候一直在聊天。

It was nice to spend time with her.

和她在一起很愉快。

She told me many stories about when she was a young girl.

她给我讲了许多她小时候的故事。

We laughed and got to know each other better.

我们笑了,彼此更加了解了。

My grandmother only visited us during the summer.

我奶奶只有在夏天来看我们。

She lived in California, and I lived in Niagara Falls, so we didn’t get to spend a lot of time with each other.

她住在加利福尼亚州,我住在尼亚加拉瀑布,所以我们没有花很多时间在一起。

We enjoyed the hot summer days in the orchard.

我们在果园里享受炎热的夏日。

You could smell the peaches, and the bees buzzed lazily by us.

你可以闻到桃子的味道,听到蜜蜂懒洋洋地在我们身边嗡嗡叫。

My grandmother would point out different insects and birds to me.

我奶奶会给我指出不同的昆虫和鸟类。

I learned a lot about nature from her.

我从她那里学到了很多关于大自然的知识。

We would end up with a big basket of peaches.

我们最终会摘到一大篮桃子。

When we got home, my mother would wash the peaches, and often she would bake a peach pie for us.

当我们到家时,我妈妈会洗桃子,她经常为我们烤桃子馅饼。

Nobody bakes a peach pie like my mother.

没有人能像我妈妈那样烤桃子派。

It’s good to have memories like that.

有这样的记忆很好。

Childhood memories of time spent with my grandmother are very precious to me.

童年与祖母在一起的记忆对我来说非常珍贵。

Sometimes, it’s just the simple things that you do in life that leave you with the nicest memories.

有时候,只是你在生活中做得简单的事情却给你留下了最美好的回忆。

,