I was a previous typist in a post office.
我以前是一家邮局的打字员。
Because I couldn’t tolerate typing any more postage bills or postcodes on a typewriter every day, I resigned.
因为忍受够了每天在打字机上打邮资账单或邮政编码,我辞了职。
With a greedy motivation of making big money, I took up workingas a business representative for the G.E Ecology Company, which produced goods by recycling useful materials from our dustbins.
带着想挣大钱的贪婪动机,我开始给一家叫G.E生态公司的企业当商务代表,这家公司通过回收我们垃圾箱里的有用材料生产商品。
My new job left me good impressions in many aspects except that the working timetable was full of traveling by jets.我的新工作在多方面都给了我很好的印象,除了一点:乘飞机旅行挤满了我的工作时间表。
Once, when speeding up, our jet was swallowed by a thunderstorm, which destroyed our GPS receiver and made us lose sight of the directions.
有一次,我们的喷气飞机在加速时被一场雷暴吞没,不仅损坏了GPS信号接收器,还使我们看不见方向。
A constantly flashing light showed that our jet was in danger.
一盏持续闪亮的灯说明我们的飞机正处在危险中。
A steward instantly asked us to put on masks and fasten the safety belts, and then pressed a
button to switch on the escaping capsule.
一名乘务员立刻让我们戴上面罩、系牢安全带,接着按下一枚按钮打开逃生仓电源。
It slid sideways out of the opening at once and landed in a desert area safely.
逃生仓马上侧着滑出出口,安全降落在一片荒凉的地区。
Lacking food and tablets, we were nervous and uncertain at first.
因为缺少食品和药品,我们一开始都又紧张又心里没底。
But we all kept optimistic and made good adjustment to the situation.
但是我们都保持乐观,做好调整适应这一新境况。
We swept up the surrounding mud to make our settlement and were back on our feet soon.
我们打扫干净周围的泥土,安顿下来,很快就恢复过来。
Finally, guided by the smoke of our crashing jet, some local citizens came by carriages and saved us.
最后,在我们坠机烟雾的指引下,一些当地的居民搭乘马车到来,我们都获救了。
解析
▶take up doing……: 开始从事……
He took up writing after graduation. 毕业后他开始从事写作。
▶leave an impression on somebody:
给某人留下印象
leave somebody an impression: 给某人留下印象
The care and love from an instructor will leave everlasting impression on students' mind.
老师的关注和爱护将会给学生的心灵留下不可磨灭的印象。
▶be back on our feet / get on our feet: 恢复
Sickness comes and goes, and we get back on our feet again.
疾病来了又走了,我们又恢复了健康。
,