Jem was the product of their first year of marriage; four years later I was born, and two years later our mother died from a sudden heart attack. They said it ran in her family.
杰姆是他们结婚第一年的产物,四年之后我出生了,又过了两年,我们的母亲忽然心脏病发作去世了。人们说这是她家族的遗传。
这是《杀死一只知更鸟》里的一段话,把这段话摘录下来,是为了更好地结合语境理解单词的意思。我们知道 “run”这个单词主要意思是“跑”,与不同的单词组合意思有所不同,但它还有一层意思,是我们平常很少用到和接触到的: If something such as a quality, disease, or skill runs in the family, many people in that family have it.“家族遗传(某种品质、疾病、技能等),家族共有”,例如:
Diabetes appears to run in families.
糖尿病似乎是有家族史的。
扩展几个不太常见的与run有关的词组:
run a check/test: 做检查/测试
Ask your doctor to run a test on your blood sugar levels.
让医生给你检验一下血糖水平。
run around after: (像仆人一样)侍候
I’ve spent all day running around after the kids.
我整天都在侍候孩子们。
run away with: 和…私奔(一般含贬义)
His wife has run away with another man.
他的妻子跟别的男人走了。
run away with you: 使按捺不住
Don’t let your imagination run away with you!
不要想入非非!
run down sth: 读(名单)
Let me just run down a list of people who’ve been invited.
让我来读一下被邀请的名单。
run a bath: 放洗澡水
I could hear her running a bath in the bathroom.
我听到她在卫生间放洗澡水。
,