Which is stronger, the conscious or the subconscious? You will understand it by comparing these!
We can walk at will;
我们可以随意漫步;
we can raise the arm whenever we choose to do so;
我们可以随意摆臂;
we can give our attention through eye or ear to any subject at pleasure.
我们可以随心所欲地用眼睛去看某个东西,或用耳朵去听某个东西。
On the other hand, we cannot stop our heartbeats, or the circulation of the blood, nor the growth of stature, nor the formation of nerve and muscle tissue, nor the building of the bones, nor many other important vital processes.
然而,我们无法停止自己的心跳、血液循环、身体成长、神经和肌肉组织的形成、骨骼发育,以及其它很多重要的生命过程。
If we compare these two sets of action,
如果我们比较这两种行为,
the one decreed by the will of the moment,
一种由当前的意愿发号施令,
and the other proceeding in majestic, rhythmic course, subject to no vacillation, but constant at every moment,
另一种则一直宏伟庄严、有条不紊、毫不动摇、持续不变地进行;
we stand in awe of the latter,
那么,我们便会对后者肃然起敬,
and ask to have the mystery explained.
并设法解释其中的奥秘。
We see at once that these are the vital processes of our physical life,
我们立刻就会认识到,这些正是我们肉体生命的重要过程。
and we cannot avoid the inference that
而且我们必然得出如下推论:
these all-important functions are designedly withdrawn from the domain of our outward will with its variations and transitions,
这些所有重要功能特意不受我们外在意愿的控制,不被它的各种变动所影响,
and placed under the direction of a permanent and dependable power within us.
并置于我们内在永恒而可靠的力量的管理之下。
,