Formal 正式
1. What I mean by that is...
我那么说的意思是……
What I mean by that is we are in an excellent position to dominate the market.
我那么说的意思是,我们景况绝佳足以支配该市场。
*dominate /'dɑmɪnet/ vt. 支配,统治
2. Let me put it another way:...
让我换个方式说明:……
Let me put it another way: if we don't relocate our factory now, we may not get another opportunity.
让我换个方式说明:如果我们现在不迁厂,可能就不再有机会了。
3. Let me rephrase that:...
让我换个说法:……
Let me rephrase that: It's a great idea, but it might not be the best idea.
让我换个说法:这是个很棒的构想,但却可能不是最好的构想。
*rephrase /ˌri'frez/ vt. 改变措辞来说明
4. Maybe I haven't made myself clear:...
或许我没说清楚:……
Maybe I haven't made myself clear: we need more staff right now.
或许我没说清楚:我们现在需要更多员工。
Informal 非正式
1. Let me explain what I mean by that:...
让我解释一下我那么说的意思:……
Let me explain what I mean by that: it's a good idea to invest soon, but not right now.
让我解释一下我那么说的意思:赶紧投资是个好主意,但不是现在。
2. Just to clarify,...
只是想阐明,……
Just to clarify, that doesn't mean we need to cut costs.
只是想阐明,那不表示我们需要削减成本。
3. Let me put it this way:...
让我这么说吧:……
Let me put it this way: we must spend more on advertising this quarter.
让我这么说吧:我们本季必须花更多广告费。
4. What I'm basically trying to say is...
基本上我想说的是……
What I'm basically trying to say is that maybe we should look at another approach.
基本上我想说的是,或许我们应该考虑另一种方法。
*approach /ə'protʃ/ n. 方法
- END-
,