#创作挑战赛#
Fat cat
大肥猫 ..... 怎样个肥法?
有财有势的大亨 算不算“肥”啊?、阔佬 算不算“肥” ?、大腕 就是商人或政客之类的。
字里行间 有种贬义色彩了。
比如说:
The voters were tired of all the fat cats running for political office. They wanted someone who understood the plight of the middle class.
选民们厌倦了所有有钱有势的人竞选政治职位。他们想要一个了解中产阶级困境的人。
A cat nap
既不是猫睡觉,也不是猫打呼噜,是说短时间睡觉或打盹儿。
Meaning: to sleep or doze for a short time.
比如说:
I'm going to try to take a catnap before my next shift starts
我想在下个班开始前打个盹
Cat got your tongue
常用于害羞或怀疑沉默的孩子,例如在他们做错事并且不想承认之后。与成年人交谈时,有时很幽默,有时很粗鲁。
关于这个表达,有个很奇怪的说法:说自 1500 年代以来就已经存在,但尽管有很多理论,但它的起源是未知的。一种说法是这种表达来自中东对撒谎的惩罚,其中说谎者的舌头被切掉并给猫吃。另一个原因是它与被称为 九尾猫的鞭子有关,它被用来鞭打水手,因为害怕这种惩罚,他们拒绝说出他们可能知道的任何秘密。
比如:
“I know you broke the vase,” said Mom to Billy. “Don’t you have anything to say? Has the cat got your tongue?”
“我知道你打破了花瓶,”妈妈对比利说。“你没有什么要说的吗?” 怎么不吭声了呢?
Play cat and mouse
肯定不是玩猫捉老鼠的游戏了,是欲擒故纵、忽冷忽热,捉弄某人
比如:
The marshals and the fugitive have been playing cat and mouse for months now, but they may finally have him cornered.
法警 和 逃犯已经玩了 几个月的猫捉老鼠游戏,但他们最终可能会把他逼到绝境。
Live under the cat's foot
肯定也不是“活在猫爪下” 怕老婆、妻管严
To be dominated and/or nagged by another person, typically by one’s wife.
被另一个人支配和/或唠叨,通常是一个人的妻子。
比如:
You've been living under the cat's foot since the day you got married! You need to assert yourself with your wife!
自从你结婚那天起,你就一直生活在猫的脚下。你需要在你妻子面前维护你自己!
,